Today was another really good day! This morning we went down
to breakfast and they were making omelets!!! They were really good! And they
even let us mix our cheese and meat! It was awesome! (Needless to say this
whole kosher thing…not a huge fan!) Anyway the breakfast was good but I still
miss bacon and a good ol’ American Breakfast! All right lets be honest I miss
American food in General! But it was
good!
Off we went to explore more Tels!! Woohoo!! So for those of
you who don’t know a Tel is an anthropological site of sortes. They all start
to run together but they are really interesting! When we got going we went to
the Amman Citadel. This site would be the Old Testament (OT) site of Rabbath or
Ammon. The Greeks also referred to the city as Philadelphia so it had a lot of
different names haha! It was pretty cool though! There was a Mosque that was
still standing and parts of the Roman Temple of Hercules! It was really neat!
There was this little museum there that we went through too and that was pretty
cool!
The Temple of Hercules
The Monastery
While we were there we had a devotional and talked about David.
Rabbath-Ammon was where David was supposed to be when he was Bathsheba. It was
a really neat site! After that it was off to the Jabbok River.
The Jabbok River is a river that comes off of the Jordan River.
The reason we stopped was because that is where Jacob wrestled with an angel
(Genesis 32:22-30). It wasn’t anything super exciting just a river but it was
really cool to think that somewhere along that river was where Jacob once was.
It is amazing to me to think that was thousands of years ago and yet it is
still there! CRAZY!!! We had a devotional there that was really good and we got
to see a song! After that it was finally time for lunch!
We went to lunch at this place on our way and it was BBQ. It
was definitely different but it was super delicious! When you walk into the
place there is this station with this guy who is making bread! It was soooo
cool!!! He took these pieces of dough and flattened them out almost like pizza
dough!! And then he just threw them into the brick oven on top of rocks! It was
the coolest thing and probably some of the best bread I have ever had!! It was
awesome! When our food came out we all really enjoyed it! There was chicken,
Lamb, and some other kind of sausage thing which we weren’t really sure what it
was!.Aubreigh, who sat at my table, took a bite of something at the beginning
and said oh this must be a scalap and she ate the whole thing. Well, come to
find out…It was a giant chunk of fat! It was hilarious!!!
After Lunch it was time for Jerash. It is definitely waaayyy
underrated! I didn’t know what it was before this trip but it was really really
cool to go there! Jerash is one of the best preserved roman sites in the World!
It was really really cool. Brother Judd, my OT teacher, said this could
possibly be the city of Jershon from the OT. It was really neat! When you walk
in there is this Giant arch.
As you start to walk towards the middle of the
city you walk past a Hippodrome. A Hippodrome is a Horse Track! It s one of the
best preserved Hippodromes in existence!
As you continue in you walk past a lot
of homes and things until you get to the Market. The Market was soooooo HUGE!
It honestly reminded me of the Market in Hercules where all the pillars fall
down!!
Yup that totally reminded me of
that! It was awesome! After that we walked up the hill to what is so cleverly
named The South Theater haha. When we got to the theater there were three guys
in kilts playing the bagpipes! It was pretty awesome not gonna lie! The acoustics
where AWESOME!! After that we went down and walked down the main road!
Down
main road we went to a fountain
and walked past the outside of Artemis’ Temple. Then, they set us free! It was pretty cool! I wish we would have had more time
to spend there, cause there was a lot that I didn’t get to see. I went inside
Artemis’ Temple, To the North Theater, and walked around just through the
streets a little bit more!
Temple of Artemis
North Theater
Mitchell being contemplative
stairs to the temple of Artemis with Sarah L and Mitchell at the top
Temple of Artemis
Lindsay Kelly and Lisa Judd
It honestly is amazing to me to think that they were
actually there! People lived there at some point! I am walking in a city that
once was huge and booming! It is really really weird! It is also crazy to think
that they built these things without machines! I honestly think that their
buildings and such where much more impressive than anything we have!
After Jerash it was time to head to a museum. Normally a lot
of people wouldn’t be to excited about this part but it was super awesome!! It
was the Royal Automobile museum. The previous king of Jordan, King Hussein,
collected cars and motorcycles of all sorts! It was super cool! He had a
different car for like ever event in his life! Now I am not one to know a lot
about cars but I love looking at old cars! They are beautiful to me and I just
love it! It was really cool! Originally Dr. Jackson told us there was going to
be a bugatti and I was super excited because I have never seen one in person!
Unfortunately, it wasn’t there! not gonna lie, kinda disappointing but I will live!
When we got done in the Museum we were supposed to walk down
the street to the King Hussein Mosque but it was dumping rain so that didn’t
happen. We just ended up driving past it and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I
wish we had gotten the chance to at least walk at the outside of it. But it was
still really pretty! Then it was on to home (well the Hotel anyway).
Once we got back to the Hotel we still have
about an hour and a half to kill until dinner! Rachel was able to get her
internet to work so I read a book while she skyped with her family! It was nice
to just relax after having done so much for the last few days! When it finally
came to dinner it was really good! After dinner, Sarah L, Mikkel, and I went
out into the city. It was a little rainy but it was nice to be out! We went to
the grocery store to get some chocolate for the long bus ride we had the next
day and guess what I found…Aero’s and Canadian smarties!! It was soo cool to
find Canadian chocolate there because I love it so much!! Anyway so then we
walked farther down the road and got ice cream. I had Nutella ice cream that
was absolutely freaking amazing!! Haha anyway then we went back and Rachel and
I spent another night up late talking about all kinds of stuff! It was
awesome!!
I feel so bad. We forgot to call you. I love your updates. Keep them coming.
ReplyDelete